Sunday, May 28, 2023

Cost Of Affidavit In Ghana. Full Details. May 2023

Affidavit or Change of Name is a legal process Ghanaians embark on as and when the need arises. Simply put, an affidavit is a legal document that is sworn before the Commission of Oaths, in the Ghanaian court to officially change an individual’s birth name to a new name.

The new legal name is used by the individual in all official documents with the permission of the Ghanaian constitution and the law.

Before you decide to change your name due to marriage or change it due to your own reasons, below are some vital information you need to grasp about the whole name changing procedure.


Table of Contents

People Who Qualify For An Affidavit

  • Under the Ghanaian law, a citizen of the country must be above 18 years of age to qualify for a legal name change.
  • Minors (people below 18) cannot legally change their name, unless the parent or guardian of the minor applies for the name change on behalf of the minor.
  • The individual must not be bankrupt or having financial liability or a criminal record
  • Affidavits in Ghana only binds for Ghanaian citizens


How Much Does It Cost

Affidavit fees doesn’t cost much to be applied for. It cost GH¢50 to legally change your old birth name to a new name you desire.

affidavit cost ghana

List Of Required Documents

  • A formal application letter should be addressed to the Minister of Justice
  • Two passport photographs
  • Your Identity document eg.(ID Card )including your current name(s) and surname.
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • A deed poll/ affidavit for the name change
  • Formal letter detailing specific reasons for changing your name.
  • Marriage certificate for women (Men are not required to submit marriage certificate.)



Affidavits cannot be applied on anybody’s behalf. The individual seeking the change of name must be there in person to apply.

  1. You are to go to a Ghanaian court to begin the process.
  2. Produce a formal letter to the minister of Justice giving adequate reasons why you want to change your name. The above list of required documents should be attached
  3. You then proceed to swear to an Affidavit of Change of Name (Deed Pool) before the Commission of Oaths, in the Ghanaian court. The affidavit should have the content that you have changed from your old name and would like to be recognized by your new name.
  4. You proceed to the Office of the Judicial Secretary, where the affidavit is signed/ endorsed.
  5. The next process is to declare publicly that you have officially changed your name. This is carried out by publishing your new name in the Ghanaian gazette and least one recognised national daily newspaper. The new name legally holds after the new name is published in the gazette/ newspaper.
  6. The last process is to file for new government documents reflecting your new legal name. It can be done after the new name is published in the Ghana newspapers or a gazette. A copy of the newspaper is attached to the application documents for the new documents.

It is such a great feeling to have your former name changed to a new name you desire for your personal reasons. 

Editorial Team
This is the official admin account for Ghana Insider. We cover everything general in Ghana. Feel free to contact us for advertisements, endorsement, shout outs and more. Email: i[email protected] or visit our homepage:
kepenk servisi istanbul