In Ghana, almost every house has a roof. There are several roofing sheet companies in Ghana. But what type of roofing do they produce?
What are the types of roofing sheets in Ghana? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the types of roofing sheets?
Find the answers to these questions and more in this post.
In this article you will find:
- Types of roofing sheets in Ghana
- Metal roofing sheets
- Kinds of Metal roofing sheets
- Advantages of Metal roofing sheet
- Disadvantages of Metal roofing sheet
- Plastic roofing sheet
- Kinds of plastic roofing sheet
- Advantages of plastic roofing sheets
- Disadvantages of plastic roofing sheets
Types of Roofing Sheets in Ghana
There are a number of different roofing sheets. The difference lies in the kind of materials used in producing them. They also have varying properties because of the materials used in making them.
Due to their difference, each is made for some particular types of roofs. Generally, the types of roofing sheets are:
- Metal roof sheet
- Plastic roof sheets
- Hydrocarbon roof sheets
- Polystyrene roof sheets
- Fiber cement roof sheets
The common types of roofing sheets in Ghana are metal and plastic roofing sheets. Metal roof sheets are used mostly by Ghanaians.
There are various kinds under these types that we will see shortly. In this post we concentrate on metal and plastic roofing sheets.
Metal Roofing Sheets
Metal roofing sheets are simply roofing sheets made from metal sheets or pieces. Metal roofing sheets are defined by their solidity, high resistivity and their seniority or durability.
This type of roofing sheet comes in different colors and style, where they are mostly in 12 to 36 inches wide. Metal roofing sheet have been in use in Ghana for many years in various ways.
Kinds Of Metal Roofing Sheets in Ghana
- Zinc roofing sheet
- Aluminum roofing sheet
- Iron roofing sheet
- Aluzinc roofing sheet
- Copper roofing sheet
- Steel roofing sheet
Now most of these metal roofing sheets are corrugated. Meaning they are shaped into parallel grooves and ridges so to add to its rigidity and strength.
Some are called stone coated, which means the sheets have been coated with stone particles or granules to give it a rough texture.
Some are also called acrylic, because they have been painted with acrylic paints.
Some are called galvanized, meaning they have been coated with a protective zinc coat. And many more.
Metal roofing are from ages durable, some old buildings in Ghana are testimonies to this, because their roofs are still intact.
But are there disadvantages in going for a metal roof? We’ll look at some disadvantages but first let’s learn some advantages.
Advantages of Metal Roofs
- Metal roofing sheets are very durable and long-lasting
- Metal roofing sheet are environmentally friendly
- Metal roofing sheet dampens the noise of rain
- Metal sheets are easy to install
- Metal roofing sheets are lighter in weight
- Metal roofing sheet good in heat management, by reflecting the radiant from the sun.
- Metal roofing sheets are able to resist fire.
- Metal roofing sheets cost low when maintaining.
- The different kinds of metal sheets adds to the beauty of a house or building.
Even though metal roofing sheets have several advantages, they also have some drawbacks. Let’s look at some
Disadvantages of Metal roofing Sheets
- The biggest drawback of metal roofing sheet is the cost of installation.
- The cost of replacing it is high and demanding.
In all, the advantages of metal roofing sheets surpass their disadvantages. Though they are expensive, metal roofing sheets are worth their prices.
Plastic Roofing Sheet
Plastic roofing sheet is one type of roofing sheets used in Ghana, though they are not common.
Plastic roofing sheets are mostly used for company buildings and shops, conservatories, garage, etc.
Corrugated plastic roofing makes companies and offices or outdoor buildings beautiful. Plastic roof sheets are good when working on a flat roof.
Kinds of Plastic Roofing Sheets in Ghana
Plastic roofing sheets used in Ghana are usually made of polycarbonate, acrylic, polystyrene or PVC and hence the kinds of plastic roofing sheets:
- Polycarbonate plastic roofing sheet.
- Acrylic plastic roofing sheet.
- Polystyrene plastic roofing sheet.
- PVC plastic roofing sheet.
Advantages of Plastic roofing Sheets
- Some plastic roofs are totally transparent and so gives light to an area even when the others are opaque.
- Plastic roofing sheets are effortless in cleaning.
- Plastic roofing sheets are light in weight.
- Plastic roofing sheets are cost effective.
- Plastic roofing sheets are durable and easy to install.
Disadvantages of Plastic Roofing Sheets
- Plastic roofing sheets are less catchy visually.
- Rain produces hefty noise when it hits on plastic roofing sheets.
- Plastic roofing sheets are not fit for home roofing.
In all, metal roofing sheets and plastic roofing sheets are the main types of roofing sheets used in Ghana.
They have their kinds for you to choose from as stated. Metal roofing sheets are more suitable for domestic roofing while plastic roofing sheets can be used for outdoor offices and companies.