Civil engineering is a discipline that deal with the design and development of infrastructure plans.
This plan can be on either a smaller scale such as individual buildings and roads or countrywide such as transport systems or water supply networks.
In Ghana, all the facet of building structures fall under care of a civil engineer. This may include the planning, designing, funding, surveying, construction, directing and analysis.
Civil engineers design and build highways, transportation systems, bridges, plumbing designs and tunnels.
They also construct schools, hospitals, airports, water treatment facilities and sewage systems.
In civil engineering, critical thinking, project management, estimating, safety scheduling and risk management are recommended.
Civil engineering involves the application of mathematics and physics.
Civil engineering is one of the most demanding and remunerative career choice.
Civil engineering is one of the oldest aspects of engineering and moneymaking career option in Ghana.
This piece brings to you some roles and responsibilities, skills and salary of a Civil Engineer in Ghana.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Civil Engineer
- Conducting research and developing new or improved theories and methods related to civil engineering.
- Civil engineers are involved in the design and building of highways, bridges and tunnels, schools, hospitals, airports, and other buildings, sewage systems, and water treatment facilities.
- Establishing control systems to ensure efficient functioning of structures as well as safety and environmental protection.
- Civil engineers help plan and supervise a variety of projects involving construction, water systems, and roads.
- Advising on and designing structures such as bridges, dams, docks, roads, airports, railways, canals, pipelines, waste-disposal and flood-control systems, and industrial and other large buildings.
- Civil engineers calculate the load requirements and weather conditions that a completed structure needs to withstand during the design phases of a project.
- Determining and specifying construction methods, materials and quality standards, and directing construction work.
- They usually consult builders to ensure that a project is constructed safely and successfully.
- Organise and direct maintenance and repair of existing civil engineering structures.
- Use design software to plan and design transportation systems, hydraulic systems, and structures in line with industry and government standards.
- Consider construction costs, government regulations, potential environmental hazards, and other factors during the planning and risk-analysis stages of a project.
- Analyzing the stability of structures and testing the behaviour and durability of materials used in their construction.
- Prepare cost estimates for materials, construction equipment, or labor to determine a project’s economic feasibility.
- Analyzing the behaviour of soil and rock when placed under pressure by proposed structures and designing structural foundations.
- Analyze long-range plans, survey reports, maps, and other data to plan and design projects.
- Compile and submit permit applications to local, state, and federal agencies, verifying that projects comply with various regulations.
Skills Expected of a Civil Engineer
Aside education and certificate, one should have the following soft skills, if he or she aspires to be Civil Engineer;
- Decision-making skills
- Good time management skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Leadership skills
- Communication Skills
- Math skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Project management
- Writing skills
- Negotiating skills
- Creative Mind
- Management Skills.
- Visualization skills
- Ready to learn
Civil Engineer Salary in Ghana.
This career option is one of the most desired in Ghana and even worldwide, mainly for its lucrative outcomes.
Even so, the more experience you have, the higher you earn.
A person working as a Civil Engineer in Ghana earns an amount ranging from GH₵1,208.12 to GH₵6,496.53 per month – 2020.
Job Options for Civil Engineers