One major engineering discipline that the world cannot live currently without, is biomedical engineering. Others may also refer to it as medical engineering or bioengineering.
If you have a keen interest in engineering relating to biological sciences and medicine, then this post is going to serve as an eye opener since it captures all the details you are supposed to be abreast of.
That is to say, we are going to look at the meaning of biomedical engineering, what biomedical engineers do, schools that offer biomedical engineering programme in Ghana, job avenues for biomedical engineers, the salary structure of biomedical engineers and some biomedical engineering companies in Ghana.
What Is Biomedical Engineering?
Biomedical engineering is intertwined with both biology and medicine. Meaning, biomedical engineering applies the principles (e.g, design principles) and techniques (e.g, problem solving techniques) of engineering to both biology and medicine.
Basically, biomedical engineering is concerned with the implementation of innovative measures to improve health care and human health in general. Simply put, biomedical engineering bridges the gap between engineering and medicine.
Anyone who studies biomedical engineering is known as a biomedical engineer.
Take note; a biomedical engineer can become a physician or a surgeon after pursuing a medical degree.
What Do Biomedical Engineers Do?
Factually, health centers are now employing advanced technologies and all kinds of sophisticated machines to improve the health care system. For this very reason, the demand for biomedical engineers has been on the ascendancy. Biomedical engineers are employed to do the following:
- Designing of health related products and systems. For instance, products such as: surgical robots, artificial organs, artificial hips, pacemakers, kidney dialysis, MRIs, advanced prosthetics, therapeutic biologicals, EKGs, pharmaceutical drugs, ECGs and etc.
- Performing of researches on the engineering facets within the biological systems of human beings and animate beings.
- Work along with chemists, medical scientists and life scientists.
- Clinicians and other health personnel are trained by biomedical engineers on the proper use of biomedical equipments at hospitals and laboratory centers.
- Installation, maintenance, repairing or provision of technical support for biomedical equipments.
- Assess the safety, efficacy and productiveness of biomedical equipments.
Schools or Universities That Offer Biomedical Engineering In Ghana
- University of Ghana, Legon
- Ghana Institution of Engineering
- College of Engineering (KNUST)
- Accra Technical University BTech Medical Laboratory Science
- Valley View University
- ANUC Biomedical Engineering
- Garden City University College
Job Avenues For Biomedical Engineering In Ghana
- Physician Or A Surgeon
- Biomaterials Developer
- Rehabilitation Engineer
- Biomedical Researcher
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Medical Technology Developer
- Independent Consultant
Salary Structure Of Biomedical Engineering In Ghana
A worker in Ghana who is biomedical engineer, earns an average monthly salary of about GH¢ 4,030. However, the salary range is from GH¢ 1,980 (lowest) to GH¢ 6,290 (highest). In some cases, the salary encompasses transport, housing and other benefits.
Some Biomedical Engineering Companies In Ghana
- Nested Hive Engineering Company Ltd
- MANGEL KLICKS Limited.