In this post, we are going to give you every detail you need to know about Akosombo International School: fees, scholarships available, prospectus, pictures, admission forms and many more.
Akosombo International (AIS) school was established in 1962 to provide educational facilities at the Kindergarten and Primary levels for the children of workers (mostly expats), who were engaged in the construction of the Akosombo dam.
- The pupils/students at the basic level are prepared for Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) conducted by the Ghana Education Services (GES)
- Students at the secondary school level are prepared for West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (WASSCE) conducted by the Ghana Education Services (GES)
- Additionally, interested students at Secondary Department at Akosombo International School are prepared on part-time basis for the University of Cambridge Overseas School Certificate ‘O’ level Examinations, as well as SAT.
ADMISSION PROCESS & REQUIREMENTS
- Akosombo International School; secondary school department absorb students to only SHS one
- The registration fee/admission form for all programmes (General Science, General Arts, Visual Art, Home Economics and Business Programmes) is Two Hundred and Fifty Ghana cedis (GH¢250.00).
- The requirement for admission into AIS would be solely based on candidates who have completed Basic School (Year 9/JHS 3 level); who write and pass the School’s Entrance Examination.
- Interested applicants should buy Registration Pin/Serial Number at the nearest Zenith Bank and proceed to register online at this website: www.vraschools.online
- The entrance examination is usually held at the three centres below.
(i) Accra High School, Accra.
(ii) Chemu Senior High School, Tema
(iii) Akosombo International School, Assembly Hall, Akosombo
- Candidates must remember to:
(i) Attach their current passport size photos to E-Forms for identification
(ii) Indicate their choice of Elective programmes
- Visiting of students/pupils while school is in session is strictly forbidden.
- Boarders are not to be visited in the late afternoons and evenings of the school days (i.e. Monday – Friday) either.
- Visiting days and hours for boarders are the 1st Saturdays of every month, between 2.00p.m. – 5.00p.m. No visitation is permitted on Sundays, therefore
- Parents/Guardians/relations ought to plan their visits strictly on the appointed days only.
Location: Akosombo, Asuogyaman District – E/R.
Telephone: 233 (0) 343 020400, +233 (0) 343 020400
Email address: [email protected]
Akosombo International School Fees.
Find info about the school fees charged at this institution.
More About AIS (History)
At its inception, the school was an interesting experiment in education. Only 20% of the 140 students who were enrolled in the school at that time were Ghanaians.
The rest were foreigners from countries such as Italy, United States of America, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Pakistan, the Netherlands, Brazil, and Portugal. All these foreign students received tuition at Akosombo International that enabled them to write examinations in their home countries.
With the completion of the Akosombo Dam project in 1966, the Akosombo Dam was officially opened to the wards of all employees of the Volta River Authority. In 1968 the second cycle school of the international school was established as a regular co-educational secondary department.
With this initiation, facilities were put in place to accommodate boarders. The secondary school department was intended to follow technical courses in other to take advantage of the numerous facilities in Akosombo for such pursuits such as carpentry workshop, vehicles workshop mechanical workshop, at its establishment.
However, other courses have included in the school’s curriculum; such courses include (General Science, General Arts, Home Economics and Business). A two-stream Junior Secondary school department was introduced at Akosombo in 1990.
This saw the intake of the three-stream Senior Secondary School in preparation for the phasing-out of the then existing secondary.
Pictures of Akosombo International School